First of all, thank you for the seat backs. As you can see in the
included pics I have already used them!
Pics show what I did with your kit and I must say that you have done
a great job with it. It's a very tough bird to work with. All sub
assemblies are just resting against each other and won't be glued in
until after I glass the bird and finish it. There are still a few
wires, hoses, and doo-hickeys to put in but it is 95% done.
You can see what I did in the sequence shots to open up the interior
of the fuse by cutting out cross-members, and cutting down bulkhead
widths. I became concerned for structure safety as this sections
takes all of the landing impact on the nose gear. You can see that I
have added hardwood to the ledge of the cockpit, as well as 1/4
square hardwood diagonal braces in the side. I also added a hardwood
1/4 x 1/2 frame back from the gear rails to the rear bulkhead. Then I
added a 1/8" ply floor. Some of this squeezed the overall width
down about 1/2". It's obvious how much the gear assembly and
retract cylinder pushed into the pilot's location. (Need to find
a very bow-legged pilot to wrap his legs around the gear box to get at
the rudder-pedal!) I had to move the dash off center a little to save
all of the instruments and then shaved down the left side of the dash
to fit. I haven't finished the dash hood yet or fit it to the
windshield - but I'll do that when I complete it. The gun-sight is
done but doesn't show in the pics - yet! The extra "dial"
in the top center of the dash is the pneumatic landing gear's
pressure indicator: seemed to be a good place to put it and I'll be
able to see the graduated pressure piston sticking out through the windows.
Have a good one and thanks again.
Jim Brown, email@example.com